Canal Street Art Gallery, in Bellows Falls, VT, is pleased to present: the new Working Artist Program, an artist studio and exhibition space within the gallery. The goal of the Working Artist Program is to provide artists with an affordable space to complete a project, explore a new body of work, gain exposure and sales, or prepare for a solo show. By offering a working and exhibiting space which is free and open to the public, with new artists every one to three months, the program contributes opportunities for dialogue, events, and classes to the community.
The Working Artist Program is open to all artists with priority for local artists. Working Artists are expected to interact with gallery visitors, discuss their work and process, and answer questions. Artists process their own sales and curate their own space.
Upon completion of the program, artists present a self-curated solo show within their space to coordinate with a 3rd Friday Gallery Night opening reception. Artists participating in the program may also be offered a gallery-curated solo show in the smaller main gallery and storefront to be scheduled for a future date.
The Working Artist Program provides the public with a unique chance to learn about and experience the process of art making. Now visitors to Canal Street Art Gallery have the chance to engage with a working artist while having even more art to see, appreciate, and purchase. The Program is open during regular gallery hours, Wednesday to Saturday 11am-5pm and additional times as set by the current artist. For all details and to submit for consideration visit canalstreetartgallery.com/working-artist-program.
CALL FOR ENTRY FOR THE
WORKING ARTIST PROGRAM AT CANAL STREET ART GALLERY IN BELLOWS FALLS, VT
What the Program Offers
• A space to complete a project, explore a new body of work, gain exposure and sales, or prepare for a solo show.
• Includes studio space and an artist-curated solo show.
• Exhibition and Studio Space located within Canal Street Art Gallery.
• Program length of 1, 2, or 3 Months.
• Studio space is open to the public during regular gallery hours.
• Artists may choose to open additional hours.
• The studio space is approximately two-hundred square feet with over fifty linear feet of wall space, built-in counter, cabinet, tabletop, shelving, storage for materials, restroom with sink, workbench, and studio cart.
How the Program Works
• All tools and materials must be provided by the artist.
• Sales of the artist’s work, and curating of the program space, are the responsibility of the working artist.
• Sales processed by the gallery of the artist's work in their absence are subject to a 20% commission.
• Living arrangements not included; artists must provide for their own housing and living expenses.
• Artists are encouraged to work during gallery hours.
• The space is available twenty-four hours a day with respect to neighbors.
• Artists are expected to interact with gallery visitors, discuss their work and process, and answer questions.
• Workspace must be kept presentable as both an exhibition space and studio.
• Opportunities for dialogue, events and classes with the community.
• Upon completion of the program, artists present a self-curated solo show within their space to coordinate with a 3rd Friday Gallery Night opening reception.
• Artists participating in the program may also be offered a gallery-curated solo show in the smaller main gallery and storefront to be scheduled for a future date.
• The Visiting Artist website page will feature the current artist with sample artworks.
• Press Release announcing the current Working Artist will be distributed to the local press.
• Exhibition Listing in Art New England Magazine.
• Scheduled Email and Social Media Campaigns.
• Digital Flier for social sharing and email.
How to Submit
• Eligibility: All artists working in all mediums with priority for local Vermont artists.
• Submissions: Ongoing
• Number of Work Samples for Submission: 12
• Supporting Materials: Artist Statement, Biography and Statement of Intent.
• Studio/Exhibition Fee: $250 (1 month), $500 (2 months), $750 (3 months), paid monthly or on arrival)
• To Register and Submit go to: canalstreetartgallery.com/working-artist-program